Campfire in Wareham by charging the hoverboard
WARHAM – An early morning house fire in Wareham that saw a woman and her child flee a window was caused by a charging hoverboard, according to the fire department.
Just before 1:00 a.m., the Wareham Fire Department received an emergency call reporting a house fire on Rose Point Avenue.
The caller said she was in the house with a toddler and couldn’t come out, so the operator told her to climb out of a window with the baby.
Police and fire brigade arrived to get the woman and baby out of the house safely.
According to a message from the fire department, the woman had thrown pillows out of the window on the first floor, placed the baby on it and then climbed out herself.
The mother and baby were taken to Tobey Hospital for examination.
The fire brigade was able to contain the fire right into the kitchen area.
An investigation revealed that the fire broke out where a hoverboard in the kitchen had charged, the department said.
The fire and smoke had blocked the woman from accessing an exit so she could use the window.
Functioning smoke alarms made residents aware of the emergency.
The house was damaged by the fire.
It is unclear whether the family was injured or whether they will be displaced.